Sunday, May 18, 2008

Yo' Jesus So Big...

Well, the past week week had it's ups and downs. Free-periods coming about time after time, June Holiday/ Term 3 projects are slowly being revieled, canoeing trainings are kicking into full-gear in lieu of the competition 2 months from now (that's concidered as 'the last 2 minutes' in training terms; if you actually concider compressing all the hours of training left, you'd get 4 days or less) and the mid-year results (*gasp*) are in.

I feel that it's best I gave my parents the rights to be first to see the results in detail, maybe I'll share about the results another time. But for now, I must admit I had a great time today at church! But before that, I should start with what happened in the morning...

Basically, it was my (and Morriel's) test drive on (our) new roller blades! The family woke up early in the morning and had a quick breakfast before leaving for East Coast Park. Once parked, we found a good spot near by the shore in Section C and began putting on our equiptment. I said I wanted to explore by myself, so Daddy decided to rent his own set of skates to take care of Morriel. Uncle Eking also decided to rent a double bike to take Carlo around, leaving Mommy and Grams to look after the stuff while reading their own books.

I went as far out from our spot (somewhere nearby Marina Cove?) to the gardens out at Section F (the tower was real irritating to climb, esspecially while wearing blades) before turning back. Really interesting how many different characters you can see while moving along this stretch. Two youths racing against each other to the finish on their bikes, a young boy waiting beside the path with a dog on the leash, two lovers sitting beside each other alone in their lonely (but lovely) pavilion, while waiting for the catch of the day to pull against their line; The list goes on.

It's facinating what stories one can create just by seeing these small details of life. R. K. Narayan, writer of the novella Malgudi Days, once said that all he needed for his ideas was to 'look out of the window to pick up a character and thereby a story'. I truely agree with him, because I literally see it everyday. No matter what environment you're in, urban or rural, complex or plain, modern or traditional, even colourful or dull, there's always a story to tell: Let alone, a story to observe.

But we're getting too philosophical here. Back to my journey, passing through the 360 Ski Park, the Bedok Jetty, the Seafood Restaraunts, Castle Beach, the BBQ pits, the shore barricades and more, I eventually ended off my journey where I started it, greeting Grams with the words, "Do-we-have-water?" Realising that Mom wasn't there, I turned to see Dad trying to teach her to skate. I went over to try to help her out, seeing her slow (but steady) progress along the flat concrete road.

Also found Carlo playing at the shoreline with Morriel (who was lying on the sand and embracing the waves like something you'd see on Baywatch) with Uncle Eking and Auntie Lala supervising them. Apparently, Morriel fell once while testing her new skates, and did a little drama-mama on the impact, thus she decided to stop.

By around 11.30, we were packing up all the gear back into the car and decided to get lunch at Burger King. Little mis-communications here and there while getting the orders, but we eventually had our meal. After such (as well as a quick change of clothes), we headed for the city, where Dad dropped us all off a Suntec to goto church.

I told Mom that since it was 3rd Service, I'd might as well go into the main hall with my D.G. if it makes things easier for the group, so we split up and I went to the nearby collectables shop and looked around at silly scultures of Vandolf the Grey/White and Davy Jones and Luke Skywalker and King Kong and Venom and Alien and many other movie characters to kill time before meeting up with the R.A.D.I.C.A.Ls deep in the queue.

Been a long time since I met up with these people (missed sessions here and there because of competitons and exams and so on), so I thought catching up would definitely be a good idea. Apparently, Gab, John and Don (heh, interesting names for a trio) were interested in watching Indiana Jones' latest movie on the opening night. Hmm, better start thinking about those birthday plans of mine...

Since Sherrie had the queue ticket this week, she was frantically asking us to lend her items she can use to chope (local term for 'reserving informally') seats for us while we were (close to) the back of the line. We needed 21 seats for our D.G. today since we had friends wanting to join us, so we were really trying to find as much items we had to give her as possible (I gave here 3 Hillsong postcard invitations, my bible and notebook, my tissue packet and my sweater vest). Heavily loaded, she quickly stumbled her way to the front of the queue with all the jackets and bibles and notebooks and took her position with the ticket she had.

Finally, the 2nd service was fully flushed out of the Rock, and the queue was beginning to move. While walking our way to the gates, a friend told me that her sister had a picture taken dring the latest dragonboating competition, and apparently I was captured in it*raises eyebrows*. Others started questioning about how I happened to be there, and I had to explain about the canoeing team and how in ACS(Indep) both canoeing and dragonboating are one CCA.

Another good conversation sparked off had to be extinguished again as we then entered the hallway of gates into the auditorium. We slithered our way to the corner of the auditorium which is ussually packed with the youths of D.A.R.E. and the young adults of ARROW, and eventually found the full stretch of row booked for us. After sorting out who should sit where, we settled down minutes before Pastor Gabriel opened the service with the pre-service announcement.

Now I must admit, when I came into the hall, I was somewhat in a state of condemnation over a few things that happened lately, and was feeling a little doubtful of having a good week ahead. But boy, was today's sermon a GOOD ONE (and relevant, too)!!!

In a short summary (which I find hard since there's so much to say), Pastor Prince was showing how the words of Paul in Hebrews 10 explain to us that condemnation is no longer valid in our lives, since the price(s) to pay was all settled on the cross at Calvary and that we must thus keep our hope - direct translation, the joyful expectation of something good - firm in our hearts, since they will be satisfied. He also pointed to Romans 5:19-20 about how 'where sin abound, grace abounds more' - in direct translation, 'where sin abounds, grace abounds beyond measure, and still more on top of that!'.

Since we're now covered on all sides, sinning can no longer condemn us, and along with that the temptation to sin. But in the same way, if you accept the condemnations of sin, forgetting that Christ paid for everyhing on the cross, then you would also except the many other curses related to guilt. (So rebuke condemnation NOW!)

A good example of these blessing put into practice would be the life of Abraham, and how despite the lies he said which brought kingdoms into famine, he died as one of the wealthiest men of his time. Another example would be in Matthew 1:1-6 (a part of the geneology of Jesus as the promised seed of Abraham), where four women who didn't deserve the honours of being part of God's children were actually mentioned, instead of any of the other women in the timeline who were more likely to be permitted with these blessings. This shows how God can bring about your salvation even from the 'evil' situations of life!

The sermon was made more funny by the way all the youths screamed "Woo!" whenever Pastor mentioned Pastor Dan's (former Youth Pastor's) name, as well as after the announcements when Pastor's latest DVD sermon from last year's Zone concert was being introduced in a video (the later part of the video mentioned that the DVD had dual language in Japanese, and started showing Pastor Prince preaching in dual mode {hilarious}). Shawn then came on stage to perform a solo of the closing song, I Will Run to You, before Pastor Prince came back on stage to tell the church to rise (in Japanese) so he could bless us.

Dismissed with "Syonara! Arigato!" and an honourable bow, I quickly left the hall to meet up with Mom and the others at Carrefoure (is that how you spell it?), thanking God on the way for the new high He's given me to begin my week ahead! But just as I got out of the Rock, I heard Salsa music beking played. Apparently, the Samsung sales event downstairs had a performance of precaution instruments. It was so good, I could feel the Spanish blood I had in me tingling! I squeezed my way through the crowd that was forming alongside the raillings to have a better view of the performance.

"Mom can wait," I told myself. "No one of my type can resist such lively music." Boy, I stayed on till the performance was over, and by then I was literally drunk with the music. A great revalation with complimentary jive: I'm oh so prepared for the week! But giving myself a few seconds to snap out of it, I met up with the family and bought a dozen donuts to take back home to enjoy.

Well, that's about it for now. Until next time, whenever next time is, here's a little spoof for y'all dedicated to those Christains that are feeling spiritually low, or anyone for that matter who just needs someone to hold on to. As a word of encouragement, please don't lie to others (or God for that matter) that you've got no problems, and just Say His Name. (I don't have the technology to extract background music, so here's the original song - Say My Name. Just open this in another tab or something and read the words here along with the song.)

Romans 4:6-8!!! God Bless Y'all!!!

Say My Name by J.C.
(Chorus)
Say My name, say My name
When others imitate you, say "Jesus I love You"
No need to be ashamed
Say My name, say My name
You actin' kinda tired
Leave it to Messiah
Why treat me so strange?


Say My name, say My name
When troubles are around you, I'll be right there for you
Claim victory from My name
Say My name, say My name
You won't take long to find me
One quick call and I'm here
Quickly say My name

Any other day
I would call, you would say
"Jesus bless my day!"
But today it ain't the same
You don't read My Word anymore, by the way
Could it be that you left your whole faith on your Father at bay?


If your faith is low, first of all, let Me say
I am not the one to sit around while you're played
So tell the devil that I'm the Christ that you claim
And he'll return the thangs
That he stole from you yesterday

(Bridge)
I know you say that you're in control of things
Something's going down that's the way it seems
I should know the reason why you're acting strange
And distractions holding you back from me
Don't you know I'll be blessing you
With Deuteronomy 22
Why can't you just tell the truth?
Dont let satan tell you what to do

(Chorus)

What's up with this?
Tell the truth, why you sad
How would you like it if
I told you it's not that bad
Don't try to change it now
Sayin' you've already lost
When 2k years ago, I said "It's finished!" on the cross

It's hard to believe that you'll survive, by yourself
When I just heard the voice
Heard the voice of prayers "help"
Just this question
Why do you feel you gotta lie?
Fellin' caught up in your game
You just need to say my name

(Bridge)
(Chorus)

(Where my angels at) Yeah-yeah-yeah-yea-yeah
(Can you say that? C'mon) Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
(Holy spirit say) Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
(I can't hear ya) Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
(All the angels say) Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah..yeah Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
(Holy spirit say) Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
(Break it down) Ohh ooohh oh ooh ohhhh
(J.C., take it to the bridge c'mon)

(Bridge)
(Chorus until fade)



[Boy, imagine Jesus breakdancing...]

No comments: