Saturday, September 13, 2008

Generally Speaking...

*coughcough* ...dusty...

Ah. 'Ello. Woah, a term and a June Holiday since I last posted. Shows how much busier I've been these days (so those who intend to join IB, better be sure you can handle the heat; I've got Someone watching over me for protection, do you?).

Indeed many things happened throughout the time I was gone:
My 'B' Div Dragonboat got Bronze, just inching behind the 'B' Div seniors and Bukit Panjang Government High (by 0.03 seconds...).
Became a reserve in Inter-School canoeing (I blame Chinese 'B').
Raced and was defeated in Nationals.
Projects of many varieties filling up my diary, many of which my advantage of powerpoint cannot bloom in.
Did badly for Term 3 Art due to poor colouring.
And now, we're in Term 4.

But hey, those were just the bad highlights. Canoeing-wise, Ting Wei and I have been promoted with 2nd priority to the Boaz (that's a really good thing), and we're still paddling at around 11km/h in a Tiger so we're definitely qualified to race in this year's Round Ubin Race (I don't know about him, but that sounds good to me)!

The 'B' Division II Crew & The 'C' Division Crew (Dragonboat)
The 'B' Division Crew (Canoeing)

Social-wise, I've been going to a decent amount of gatherings lately (and at interesting venues, too). Had a Canoeists' 'End-Of-Inter-School' celebration at Wild Wild Wet, where we had extreme fun (especially at the Tsunami Pool!) and when I had my first theatrical encounter with a horror movie, having watched The Strangers in mid-afternoon ("Don't worry guys, I heard it's a great comedy!" - Davin). Also had Prefects Dinner Nite at the Mandarin Hotel next to Suntec City, where we all (or at least the enthu ones) dressed up in a Retro theme to party with the music (and make fun of the seniors using random song titles).

Me struggling off the tao-pok on Marcus.

Culture-wise, I did something which I think should not be witnessed or attempted by the faint-hearted. Please skip a few pictures forward if you do not intend to view an interesting item in Philippine cuisine: the Balut.

Basically, balut (say: BAlot) is like the typical hard-boiled egg. With a twist. These duck egg already went through fertilization. That's right, the egg now has an embryo.

Don't worry, we won't encounter live ducks when we open the shell; you boil it first anyway, so it'll definitely be dead once served. Here's the batch of eggs my grandma brought all the way from the Philippines:


After a few minutes, the eggs are brought out and broken:

Yeah, what my mom's touching is the egg white and the egg yolk. By now the egg white's hardened to much to be eaten, so that's taken out, while the egg yolk is rather juicy and has developed a few veins to make circulation between the chick and the yolk better (you do know that the yolk is the food supply of the embryo, right?).

'Speaking of chick, where's the embryo?' Good question.

Yup, that's the thing on the piece of tissue paper. Now with a partially-developed head (complete with eyes and beak), that's the main highlight of the whole thing. The main nutrients come from this chunk of a meat (actually, I don't know if it's considered meat yet), and it's supposedly something every mom would like to give her sick child (yeah, possibly to scare the illness out of them).

Ooh, a closer look int the embryo...

Yeah, the good stuff. Ah, well. Here goes my first try on eating this stuff...

Mmm, tastes like chicken. (Seriously.) I mean, the little bt of soup in the egg tastes like a nice salty broth with exposure to the embryo, and the 'meat' is kinda chewy (although the beak was a little annoying to spit out).

Yeah, I went for a second round. The flavour stayed in my mouth till the next day, even after severe brushing... And don't you stare at me with those 'you-Filipinos-are-barbarians' kinda eyes: did you know that this stuff originated from China? (Oh great, I'm still part of that race, never mind...)

Academically, my grades weren't that bad actually. In fact, I feel confident that Term 4 will be at my favour (In Jesus name, AMEN!). Health-wise, I'm still in good racing condition based on my results in the school's Annual Cross-Country Run (And my house won!)


CKS House
(I'm part of the crouching people at the center, next to Marcus Teo, who's directly above the guy with the towel, front row 4th from right)

Against my original thinking, I also ended up running for Council in the Prefects, and now I made it to become Assembly TransCouncilor 2008!

That means I'm (for now) Hadrian's heir, who's coincidentally also a canoeist and art student. As Assembly, I had to make a whole new Morning Duty List, as well as be I/C of National Day Celebrations (which was a little embarrassing 'cause I accidentally signed off my emails as 'HR Trans' instead of 'Assembly Trans', sorry Mike)! And the most interesting thing is... I get to be one of the Chief Instructors for Prefects' Recruitment Camp 2008!!!

Haha, unfortunately there's more to Selection Camp than meets the average student's eye, so I can't really write about the camp (otherwise I'd be spamming this blogpost with tonnes of stories). But what I can say is that I had my fair share of adventure and yes, I was FIERCE! (Don't believe? Have a look...)




Yeah, but besides those 'tekan' moments, I was busy with the logistics of the camp. Very busy.

Anyways, if you want to see more pictures, go to Facebook and check the albums that I've been tagged in. Ah, which reminds me, I've also now got over 100 friends (Currently 135) in my Facebook account!

Ah well, wanted to do a Mikipedia post about my oldest hobby, (Multi-genre) Music Appreciation, but I still gotta revise for Chemistry (exams are just a couple of weeks away!). Miguel, signing out for now.(gosh, how'd I sign off again? oh yeah-) Jeremiah 33.3!!! God Bless Y'all!!!

No. of bracketed statements = x
.'. Luke (x/2):(x-19) to (x+2) = Mig's favourite Bible story

No comments: